The following perquisites are taxable in the hands of all
1. Rent free accommodation furnished or
2. Hotel accommodation provided to employee (Hotel
accommodation provided for a period of 15 days or below in connection with transfer from one place to another
is exempt but the benefit above 15 days is taxable)
3. Furnished or unfurnished accommodation provided at
4. Services of sweeper, gardener, watchman or personal
attendant by the employer where such services are engaged by the employee and salary is paid by the
5. Supply of gas, electric energy or water for household
consumption of employee where the connection is taken by the employee and bills are paid by
6. Provision of free or concessional educational facilities
for any member of household of the employee without charge or with charge where such payment is made by the
employer on behalf of the employee.
7. Motor car/conveyance owned by the employee and bills paid
8. Any sum paid by the employer whether directly or through a
fund to effect an assurance on the life of the assessee or to effect a contract for an annuity (except in
case of contribution to recognised provident fund or approved superannuation fund or a deposit linked
insurance fund established under section 3G of Coal Mines Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act,
1948, or as per section 6C of the Employees’ Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act,
9. Value of any specified security of sweat equity shares
allotted or transferred directly or indirectly by the employer or former employer, free of cost or at
concessional rate to the assessee.
10. Amount of any contribution to an approved superannuation
fund by the employer to the extent it exceeds Rs.1,00,000.
11. Interest free or concessional loan to employee or any
member of his household.
12. Allowing use of movable asset other than laptop or
computer to the employee or member of his household.
13. Benefit arising from transfer of any movable asset to any
employee or any member of his household.
14. Holiday home facility provided by the employer
15. Free food and non-alcoholic beverages provided by the
16. Credit card facility (including addon card) provided by
17. Club facility provided by employer.
18. Reimbursement of any expenditure actually incurred by the
employee on his medical treatment or treatment of any member of his family in case the expenses exceed
Rs.15000 per year. (In case of hospital maintained by the government for prescribed diseases or in case of
hospital owned by the employer for any treatment, it is not taxable in the hands of the employee as a
perquisite). Note: From the assessment year 2019-20, the reimbursement of actual medical exempt up to
Rs.15000 is also not exempt. Hence, reimbursement of actual medical expenditure is taxable without any
19. Any other benefit not covered by the above, if bills are
issued in the name of the employee and they are paid by the employer.